Not ready to file? Then you need an extension…

Still not ready to file your 2010 1040? The IRS allows you to extend your return 6 months until October 17th (typically the extended due date is 10/15). To request an extension, file IRS Form 4868. Approval is automatic, but you must file the form by April 18th to avoid late-filing penalties. Extensions can be submitted electronically or filed on paper… if you expect to owe money, remember to pay what you owe with the extension to avoid late payment penalties. Most States extend your return automatically without filing a specific form as long you have extended your Federal return. The same payment rule applies, if you owe money to your State you must pay that amount with your extension to avoid late payment penalties. Contact my office if you have any questions.

This entry was posted in 1040 Personal Income Taxes, IRS, Tax filing due dates. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.