Here’s an article from the Journal of Accountancy explaining what happened to the tax return preparer registration program.
It was always important to be careful who you get to do your taxes… make sure they’re qualified. This article from About.com can help you find a qualified professional to help you with your taxes… here’s a short excerpt from that article.
Taxpayers of all types can benefit from hiring a tax accountant. But before you spend your hard-earned cash, here’s some simple steps you can take to protect yourself, to find the right professional for your situation, and some questions to ask.
Understand Why You Need a Tax Accountant
You should take some time to focus on exactly what you need your tax accountant to do. Here are some common situations:
- Preparing your own taxes is time-consuming, stressful, or confusing.
- You want to make sure your tax returns are accurate.
- Your tax situation is pretty complex, and you need specialized advice and tips.
- You would like to pay as little taxes as possible, and need detailed planning and advice.
- You are facing a tax problem, such as filing back taxes, paying off a tax debt, or fighting an IRS audit.
- You run a business, invest in the stock market, own rental property, or live outside the United States.